Self-build register

We must keep a register of individuals and associations who are looking for serviced plots of land to build a home. The government places this responsibility on us under the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015. The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016 gives more information on the requirements to be included on the register and the process involved.

We aim to help secure self- and custom-build development opportunities through the planning process. Where appropriate, we offer support to individuals or organisations in our local communities wishing to deliver self- or custom-building for houses to meet demand. The register lets us know the level of demand for self- and custom-build plots on the Island. It tells us where people would like to build their home and the type of home they would like to build. This information can help us to make decisions on planning, land disposal and regeneration.

​Being on the self-build register does not guarantee a suitable plot of land will be found and available for you to buy.

Serviced plots

A serviced plot of land is a parcel of land with:

  • legal access to a public highway
  • at least water, foul drainage and electricity supply available at the plot boundary.

It is also desirable that plots have:

  • surface water drainage
  • telecommunication services
  • gas (or district heating) where available.

Finding a plot

If you apply as an individual or family unit, you must be looking for a plot to build your sole residence on. It cannot be used to build holiday homes or a buy-to-let.

You can subscribe to Plotfinder to find opportunities in your area. The online service provides details of more than 15,000 plots and renovation opportunities nationally.


Applicants must meet all the eligibility criteria for entry on the register. Each individual applicant and every member of an association of individuals that applies for entry on the register must:

  • be aged 18 or older
  • be a British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom or a national of Switzerland
  • be seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area for their own self-build and custom housebuilding project

When applying to be entered on a register, individuals who wish to register as an association must appoint a member or officer to act as the lead contact. This is for the purposes of correspondence between the association and ourselves.

Register for a self-build

Anyone who is interested in building their own home is invited to register their interest on the right to build portal. The portal provides a lot of information, guidance and opportunity details.

You will also need to register with us to join the Isle of Wight self-build register.