Transition from children's to adult social care

Our service helps young adults move into adult social care from children’s services to get the best support as adults. We work with you to understand what care and support needs you might have in preparation for adulthood. For peace of mind, during the transition phase, your care and support will continue to be provided by children's services until your new support plan is put in place. This transition takes place on your 18th birthday.

Transition support is best described as the period between adolescence and adulthood when your child’s needs evolve from what is required as a child to what is needed as an adult.

For more information, visit our care leaver and young people transitioning to adult social care.

Young people needing care and support as adults

From 18 years of age, young people move into adult social care through our Transitions team to set up your new support plan. We work closely with children’s services, including the Disabled Children’s team, and any and all services you're already involved with or might need. Your new support plan will be tailored to your needs.

Your new support plan ensures:

  • you can continue with your education
  • you get the help to develop new skills
  • you and your family get the additional support you might need.

How to access Transitions

There are two ways into adult social care available for young people:

  • if you are already receiving support through children’s services, we will work with your social care team to coordinate your transition to adult social care services
  • if you are approaching 18 years of age and not currently receiving support, but you think you are eligible, please contact us for a care assessment.

From 16 years of age, your care team may start the process of moving from children’s services to adult social care. If your support needs are very complex, your team may begin the application process from the age of 14 years.

For more information or to organise an appointment to discuss the transitions process, email or call 01983 821000 ext 6100. Our duty officer is available during normal business hours.

Support services

The Local Offer provides education, health, and care to help families and carers find the right support services for young people aged 0-25 years with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Contact us to find out more about the Local Offer and how to request an Education, Health, and Care (EHC) needs assessment.