Isle Be Active
Get your lifetime fitness membership with 1Leisure, and get access to exercise classes, squash courts, pools, and more. Also, join community clubs and groups, walks, fun runs.
Medina I.O.W parkrun
Medina IOW parkrun is run by us and funded jointly by Sport England and the Health Authority. It is to help raise adult and children physical activity levels. Parkrun organises free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. You need to register before your first run.
Medina IOW parkrun relies on the generosity of its volunteers who turn up every week and give their time to make this event a weekly success. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Medina I.O.W junior parkrun
This happens every Sunday 9am. It is for children aged 4 to 14 years. It is a 2km fun run. You need to register before your first run.
Run, jog, walk, cycle, scoot 3-2-1 routes
Our top five benefits for being active are:
- improves mental wellbeing – exercise can boost your mood with the release of adrenalin and endorphins. It can improve confidence that comes from achieving new things
- improves lung health – exercise helps to strengthen your lungs. People who walk or cycle are also exposed to fewer dangerous fumes than those who travel by car
- improves brain power – exercise has been repeatedly linked to brain health and the reduction of cognitive changes that can lead to dementia later in life
- strengthens your immune system – exercise has huge benefits on the health of the upper respiratory system, such as reducing instances of the common cold. There are also many other exercise related health benefits
- environmental and public health benefits – climate is changing and transportation is a leading cause. Reducing traffic by choosing to walk or cycle can lead to positive environmental benefits.
These mapped routes are free to use and available to everyone.
Clubs and groups directory
In partnership with Energise Me, we have created a new club and activity directory for the Island.
Get active Isle of Wight is a new website that will host activities of all types. It ranges from sports sessions at your local club to exercise classes in your living room. There are helpful tips to get you started and stories about others that have benefited from getting active more often.
Registering your club or activity
Clubs, organisations, groups and instructors can add their session information to the site. To do this, you will need to register for free with Open Sessions and input your session information. This will automatically upload the details you've added to Get Active Isle of Wight. New members and participants will be able to find you and book with you.
Open Sessions have put together some support information about how it works and to help get you started.