Sport Development Unit
Talented Athlete Scheme (TAS)
The Talented Athlete Scheme application window is open.
The scheme is a sponsored discount scheme and has been designed to help gifted sports people reach their full potential. The benefits of the scheme will start early January and end 31 December 2024.
How to apply
- Check if you are eligible against the TAS Scheme criteria 2023/24
- Download and complete the TAS application form (PDF, 172KB)
- Email your form and supporting documents to the Sports Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org or post to, Sports Development, Recreation and Public Spaces, Floor 5, County Hall, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 1UD
Application deadline: Sunday 3 December 2023
The scheme is sponsored by the following:
Isle of Wight Talented Athlete Scheme Criteria 2023/24
Please check you are eligible against the criteria. Only official National Governing Body rankings are considered. If your chosen discipline has less than 20 ranked participants, you must form part of the top 20%.
Do I meet the criteria do be an elite performer?
You can be considered an elite performer if you:
- have been ranked in the top 20 nationally for your sport within the last 12 months
- have been selected for a national development program or are a member of a national team
- are an Isle of Wight resident
- has competed in a sport or discipline that is recognised by Sport England and governed by a National Governing Body (NGB) that is also recognised by Sport England, or a National Disability Sports Organisation
- are a non-professional
Do I meet the criteria to be a junior performer?
You can be considered a junior performer if you:
- have been ranked in the top 10 regional level or top 5 at county level (Hampshire), national or international rankings considered within the last 12 months.
- are a current member of a county or regional team
- are an Isle of Wight resident
- are aged 18 or under (as of 31 December in the year of application)
- are competing in a sport or discipline that is recognised by Sport England and governed by a National Governing Body (NGB) that is also recognised by Sport England, or a National Disability Sports Organisation (NDSO)
What discounts could I receive as an elite or junior performer?
You may be eligible to receive:
- free access to leisure centres
- discounted Wightlink travel
- retail discounts
- physiotherapy discounts
- chiropractic discounts
View more information on the Sports England recognised sports.
- Sport England is an organisation committed to creating opportunities for people to start in sport, stay in sport and succeed in sport.
- Sport Hampshire & IOW (SHIOW) is one of 49 County Sports Partnerships in England, committed to increasing levels of participation in sport and physical activity. Our vision is, 'Inspiring more people, to be more active, more often'.
- Sports Coach UK is a vibrant organisation focused on recruiting, retaining and developing coaches.
- Clubmark is an accreditation awarded to clubs that that show a commitment to encouraging young people to take-up sport, and improve their talents.
- National Governing Bodies has a comprehensive list of all the national governing bodies of England provided by sport England.
- Run Together is part of England Athletics. They have a huge number of resources that can help you save time, access funding, attract more members.
Follow our Sports Development Unit on Facebook, or get in touch with us for more information.