Other dangerous substances

Household hazardous waste is any unwanted household product labelled as flammable, toxic, corrosive, or reactive.

The most common products include aerosols, anti-freeze, asbestos, fertilizers, motor oil, paint supplies, photo chemicals, poisons, and solvents.

Most household hazardous waste such as paints, oils, household chemicals etc. can be taken to Lynnbottom Household Recycling Centre in their original containers.

Hazardous materials such as explosives, radioactive material or materials that are otherwise unstable and would present a risk to staff or the public will need specialist collection and disposal. 

Contact the supplier of the material for disposal advice. 

If this is not possible, we will help you find a disposal specialist.

Email waste.contract@iow.gov.uk or call us 01983 823777.

The following include the most common household hazardous substances and what to do with them.

Gas bottles

Never place a gas bottle in with your general waste or in a skip, as they will explode in the landfill site and potentially cause serious injury. 

Return your empty gas bottles to the retailer or your original supplier, or you can take them to the household recycling centres. They will be collected by either Calor Gas or Flo Gas (British Gas) and refilled for re-use. 

Camping gas bottles cannot be recycled. They must not be placed in your general waste bin or a skip. 

Return your empty bottles to the retailer or your original supplier if they offer a take back scheme.

If no other options are available, take your empty gas bottles to one of the household recycling centres and check with staff where to dispose of it.


Pouring oil (not cooking oil) down the drain is not only illegal but also harmful to humans and the environment.

A lot of surface water drains lead to the nearest stream and oil may cause pollution, affect aquatic life, and contaminate water supplies. 

It is also harmful to put oil in soil or sewers.  If you have large amounts of oil, it is best to contact a specialist organisation to advise on disposal methods. 

Mineral oil or engine oil can be disposed of at the household recycling centres. 

Engine oil and filters

It is illegal to pour engine oil down the drain or burn it.

Both engine oil and filters can be disposed of at the Lynnbottom household recycling centre where there is an assigned area for the engine oil and filters. Do not dispose of it any other way. Learn more about Lynnbottom household waste recycling centre.

Paints and varnishes

Paints, varnishes, and wood stains can contain hazardous chemicals or solvents including heavy metals. Do not pour paint down a drain as it will cause serious environmental damage or dispose of it in your domestic waste as it may explode under the pressure of other materials in the bin. Local community groups, playgroups or charities will often welcome donations of useable paints. Many DIY stores will take back unwanted paint, call them to check. If you have many pots, they can be classed as hazardous waste. If you have a full pot of paint, you can donate it to charity. Take unwanted paint pots to one of the household waste recycling centres. Let a member of staff at the site know that you are getting rid of paint.

Car batteries

Car batteries should be taken to one of the household waste recycling centres. They can also be recycled at car dismantlers and scrapyards.

Domestic batteries

Don’t throw batteries in your bin or reusable sack as these can be a fire and explosion risk. Take them to one of the drop off points at supermarkets, shops across the Island, or use the household battery kerbside collection service.

Fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent tubes (CFLs)

Never put a fluorescent tube in with household waste as it is hazardous waste and must be disposed of at a household waste recycling centre..

If you need your fluorescent tubes collected (non-commercial only) contact the waste service. A charge will be made for collection. Some local supermarkets and electrical retailers also accept used bulbs for recycling.

Light bulbs (incandescent or standard not energy efficient bulbs, flu. tubes and CFLs)

Light bulbs are not currently recycled as the filaments can contaminate the recycling process. Blown or broken light bulbs should be placed in your waste (black bag) collection. For safety, wrap the bulb or broken glass in newspaper to protect the collection crew from injury by broken glass.

Fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent tubes (energy saving lightbulbs) cannot be placed with your household.

Emergency Hit Squad

The Emergency Hit Squad form is only to be used to report hazardous items, for example: hypodermic syringes, needles or broken glass that may cause a risk to human health on council owned or maintained land.

The Emergency Hit Squad will collect hazardous materials and make safe any dangerous or hazardous waste on authority owned and managed Land including:

  • parks
  • amenity beaches
  • Public Rights of Way
  • council offices
  • Isle of Wight Council managed car parks
  • any other unspecified authority land.

Items on private land will not be removed. Items on a public road or pavement should be reported to Island Roads on 01983 822440 or online at fix my street.