Lynnbottom and Afton Marsh recycling centres
Recycling centres are for household recycling and waste from your home.
Commercial waste must be taken to Lynnbottom commercial waste and recycling centre.
Trailers and vehicle combinations up to 7.7 metres in length are permitted.
There are two recycling centres on the Island.
Lynnbottom recycling centre is at:
Lynnbottom is open every day (except Christmas day), from 10am to 6pm.
Afton Marsh recycling centre is at:
Afton Marsh is open Saturday, Sunday and Monday, from 10am to 6pm.
You must book an appointment to visit a recycling centre.
Recycling and waste at the recycling centre
Only the following items may be brought to a recycling centre:
- bonded asbestos (Lynnbottom only. Apply for an asbestos disposal permit)
- car batteries
- cooking oil
- DIY waste
- engine oil
- food waste
- fluorescent tubes and CFL's
- fridges, freezers, dishwashers and cookers (you must be able to unload unassisted)
- furniture for reuse
- gas bottles
- green waste
- household and hazardous chemicals
- household batteries
- household furnishings and bric a brac
- metals (ferrous and non-ferrous)
- Plasterboard (Lynnbottom only. Apply for a plasterboard disposal permit)
- rubble and inert waste
- tyres excluding agricultural (Lynnbottom only)
- WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment)
General waste you would normally place in your kerbside waste bin or reusable sacks.
Asbestos and plasterboard are only accepted at Lynnbottom recycling centre.
Book a recycling centre visit
15 minute booking slots are available.
You must book at least 2 hours before you visit.
You will be sent an email with the booking reference number on when you book your appointment. The booking reference will start with iw. Bring this with you when you come to the recycling centre.
Call us on 01983 823777 if you can’t make a booking online.
Cancelling or amending your appointment
If you no longer need your booked appointment or want to change the registration of the vehicle, you can amend your recycling centre booking online up to an hour before your appointment..
Using the recycling centres
- Sort and separate your recycling and waste before you arrive at the site.
- wear appropriate clothing to prevent hurting yourself when disposing of your waste. This could be flat closed toe shoes, long sleeves or gloves if needed.
- bring your booking reference with you when you arrive. If you arrive without a reference number, you may be turned away.
- if all vehicle occupants aged over 16 are disabled, please tell the staff on site as you arrive if you require help.
- wait to be directed to a parking bay by our staff and park in your allocated bay only.
- children aged 16 or under must stay inside vehicles for their safety.
- follow safe walking routes, indicated by white lining on the floor and maps.
- only use open bays/skips as directed by staff.
Site staff can refuse access if the site is very busy and your vehicle is carrying very large amounts of waste. Waste must be from your household only.
Staff are not able to help with unloading. Assistance can be requested if you are disabled.
Verbal and physical abuse will not be tolerated and could be reported to the police. This could result in a ban from site. CCTV is in operation and body cameras are used by site staff.
We recognise that some residents need to use their van or commercial/business type vehicles to take their own household waste to the Recycling Centres at Lynnbottom and Afton Marsh. Find out more about the vehicle permit scheme and how to apply.
The household waste recycling areas are for household waste only.
A permit is not required for cars, 4x4's or people carriers unless they meet the criteria of a car derived-van. Camper vans will require a permit as they are classed as a type of van.
Think before you throw
Before throwing away household items at the recycling centre:
- try to recycle everything you can in your recycling kerbside collection. We also collect any extra recycling at the kerbside. Avoiding a trip to the recycling centre will cut down on greenhouse gas emissions
- find a reuse for your items. Could they be donated?
- we operate a free reuse collection service. Book a free reuse collection for reusable items online or by calling waste services 01983 823777.
Look out for the ‘Think Before You Throw’ signs at the recycling centre. This is where you can recycle your old items that could be put to good use.
Items include household decorations, furniture or working electricals. They should be in a useable condition. Any furniture such as sofas, armchairs, or settees will need to have a fire safety certificate attached.
You can speak to our friendly staff and they will be happy to help you to ‘Think before you Throw’.