Apply to start Primary school September 2024
NHS England notification: To protect your child, please contact your GP practice to check their immunisations are up to date before they start school.
Application dates and process
The online school admissions round to enable you to apply for a primary school for September 2024 is now closed.
To make a late application for a primary school place, download and complete the Application form primary school September 2024 (PDF, 106KB).
- if you are unable to download the application form to complete, you can request a copy
- your application submitted will be a 'Late' application
- your application will be processed after those received by the closing date.
Before completing and submitting your application it is recommended that you download and read the Educating your Child booklet (PDF, 849KB).
The booklet will provide you with further information on the admissions process. We strongly recommend that you consider using all the preferences available to you when making your application.
Children due to start primary school in
September 2024 must be born on or between 1 September 2019 and 31 August 2020.
By law, children must start school at the start of the term following their fifth birthday. Or, if your child is born during the summer term, they must be on the school roll by the start of the summer term 2024. Most children will start school when they are four years old. Before completing your application you should read our Educating your Child booklet (PDF, 849KB). This will provide you with further information on the admissions process.
If you are applying for a place at a church-aided primary school, contact the school direct. Church-aided primary schools may require you to complete their supplementary information form. The supplementary information form needs to be completed and sent to the appropriate school. Submit these forms by the time stated in their admissions policy. This needs to have been completed before Monday, 15 January 2024 and returned direct to the school.
Supplementary information forms returned to the schools after the closing date will also be processed as late. All primary schools will hold open days, further information on these will be provided by each of the schools.
All primary schools will hold Open Days, further information on these will be provided by each of the schools.
Postal application process
- download a Primary school application form (PDF, 65KB)
- print and complete the form
- return completed form to: School Admissions and Transport, County Hall, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 1UD
- if you cannot download the application form to complete you can request a paper application form from the School Admissions and Transport service by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications received after the closing date are considered as 'Late' and will be processed after those applications that were received by the published closing date of midnight on Monday, 15 January 2024.
Additional information for church-aided primary school applications
If you are applying for a place at a church aided primary school, contact the school direct. You may need to complete their supplementary information form.
The supplementary information form must have been returned to the appropriate school by the closing date of Monday, 15 January 2024. The information provided on this form will enable them to rank your application. This is in accordance with their oversubscription criteria.
- Arreton St Georges CE Primary School
- Brighstone CE Primary School
- Oakfield CE Primary School
Do not need a supplementary form to be completed.
Application closing date
The closing date for primary school applications was midnight on Monday, 15 January 2024.
All applications and changes received after the closing date will be considered as 'Late'. They will be processed after the applications that were received by the published closing date.
National Offer day
National Offer day is the day parents will be notified by the School Admissions and Transport team with an offer of a place at a primary school. National Offer day for Primary school places is Tuesday 16 April 2024.
Parents and guardians who applied online by the closing date will receive an email from the local authority on the Tuesday 16 April 2024 notifying them of the school where a place has been allocated for their child. Letters will also be sent second class on this day to those parents and guardians who did not apply online and those who will be receiving additional information.
School Admissions are not able to confirm the child's allocated primary school by phone.
Waiting lists will be established on Thursday, 2 May 2024.
By law, children must start school at the start of the term following their fifth birthday. Or if your child is born during the Summer Term, they must be on the school roll by the start of the Summer Term 2024. Most children will start school when they are four years old.
If you would like to search for the primary school nearest to your home address, use the Schools location map. The nearest school to the home address, as stated in the admissions policies of all schools, is measured in a straight line using the local authority’s geographical information system (GIS). It starts from the centre of the building of the home address to the centre of the school building. This information cannot be used as an assessment of your child's nearest school for transport entitlement.
View the Home to School Transport Policy (PDF, 245KB).
The last date that applications or changes to existing applications can be made prior to this date is the Tuesday 9 April 2024. The system will then close down to enable the process for the allocation of primary school places to take place. The system will reopen on Tuesday 23 April 2024. All new applications or changes to details on original applications will be processed from this date. Any changes to existing applications must be received in writing. Send your changes to School Admissions.
September 2024 admissions policies
Admissions policies for community and voluntary-controlled schools:
- Admissions Policy September 2024 Primary Intake (PDF, 253KB) and supplementary information Form for CE Voluntary Controlled Schools only (PDF, 126KB)
- The Bay CE School (PDF, 198KB) and supplementary information form (PDF, 126KB).
Admissions policies for voluntary-aided, foundation and trust schools and academies
- Arreton St Georges CE Primary Admissions Policy (PDF, 818KB)
- Brighstone CE Primary Admissions Policy (PDF, 812KB)
- Newport CE Primary Admissions Policy and Supplementary Information Form (PDF, 470KB)
- Oakfield CE Primary website - Admissions Policy
- Yarmouth CE Primary Admissions Policy(PDF, 723KB)
- Holy Cross Primary School Admissions (PDF, 331KB) and Holy Cross Supplementary Information Form (PDF, 190KB)
- St Marys Catholic Primary School Admissions Policy (PDF, 331KB) and St Marys Catholic Supplementary Information Form (PDF, 246KB)
- St Saviours Catholic Primary School Admissions Policy PDF, 331KB) and St Saviours Supplementary Information Form (PDF, 231KB)
- St Thomas Catholic Primary School Admissions Policy (PDF, 331KB) and St Thomas Supplementary Information Form (PDF, 223KB)