Always display fluorescent or reflective clothing on both horse and rider, whatever the weather or light conditions.
- Don’t ride in failing light, fog or darkness.
- Avoid icy or snowy roads where possible.
- Never take a mounted group of more than eight horses on the road.
- If riding two abreast, move into single file when it is safe to do so to allow motorists to overtake.
- Always cross major crossings as a group, rather than one by one.
- Leave details of your intended route and estimated time of return with a responsible person.
- If riding a horse that is not used to roads, ask a calm and experienced rider to accompany you.