Safe and comfortable homes

Whether you rent, own, or are looking for a home, you want to know that what you get is safe and comfortable.

You can get advice on hazards and flooding in and around the home to help you recognise and fix issues before or as they arise.

There are both local and government services available to help you find and keep your home in good condition.

What can I do if my home is unsafe?

If you are a tenant of a housing association (registered social housing)

As you live in Social Housing and you have an issue with your home, or your landlord, there are ways to ‘Make it Right’.

Everyone deserves a safe and secure home.

To resolve an issue you can:

  1. Report it to your landlord
  2. Complain to your landlord
  3. Escalate to the Housing Ombudsman

You can take these steps for lots of issues, including:

  • mould or damp
  • poor insulation
  • broken doors or windows
  • leaking pipes other repairs
  • anti-social behaviour
  • access problems
  • poor service from your landlord

Step 1

Report it to your landlord. Most landlords have a website with a form to fill in, as well as an email address or phone number you can use. Check your contract for any contact details.

Step 2

Complain to your landlord. If you’ve reported an issue and it hasn’t been sorted, or you’re not happy, complain to your landlord. They should have a website explaining their complaints process. Landlords must take your complaint seriously and cannot punish you in any way for raising a problem or making a complaint.

Most landlords have 2 stages to their complaints process:

  1. Stage 1 complaint: They must respond within 10 working days of a complaint being logged.
  2. Stage 2 complaint: If a complaint goes to stage 2, they must respond within 20 working days.

For information on how to make to make an effective complaint, please visit: How to complain to your landlord

Step 3

Escalate to the Housing Ombudsman. If you’re not happy with your landlords final response to a complaint, escalate it to the Housing Ombudsman. They are free to use, impartial and will investigate fairly.

To escalate to the Housing Ombudsman, you can do access their service at: Make a complaint - Housing Ombudsman

You can also:

Investigations take 6 months on average but can be faster or slower, depending on the case. The Ombudsman will check the facts and be thorough. When the Ombudsman investigates and rules against a landlord, they must show they are acting within 6-8 weeks.

For more information, please visit: Social housing issue - Know how to complain 

The Local Authority can assist if requested to do so by the Housing Ombudsman Service.

If you are a private tenant (you rent privately or through an agent)

If you rent your home and need some advice, look at our housing standards (PDF, 207KB) for information on how we process your tenancy enquiries.

You can also send us a housing enforcement service request if you need help to get an issue resolved or you have a concern about another property in your community.

Hazards in the home

Some hazards to be aware of that are harmful are asbestos, lead paint, radiation, gas and carbon monoxide leaks, faulty wiring and plumbing, pest infestation, and household chemicals.

To find out more about hazards in the home, read the HHSRS guide.

It is important to have smoke detectors and a good idea to have CO detectors too in the home. If you live in rented accommodation, you might be required by law to have these fitted and working.

If you have any concerns about safety in your home, contact our housing renewal team for advice.

Carbon monoxide and gas

Visit Gas Safe Register for safety information about carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

For suspected carbon monoxide and gas leaks, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999 if you smell gas or want to report a gas leak. Find out more about what to do in a gas emergency.

Outside of the home

CO issues do not just affect you in your home. Awareness is important in several recreational situations (for example, camping and sailing) when you are in enclosed, unventilated spaces.

For more information, contact us.

Background information

On the 19 November 2022 and the 25 November 2022 the Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Levelling Up Housing & Communities, wrote to all local housing authorities. The letter directed them to prioritise enforcement activity in respect to damp and mould.

On 29th November 2022, the Local Authority responded to the letter.


The Environment Agency has useful advice on preparing for and dealing with flooding. 

More information about local flood response 

Immigration accommodation certificate

If you want to sponsor someone to live in the UK, you need to get an accommodation certificate for your home. To assess your property's suitability for issues, such as hazards or overcrowding, apply for an inspection (PDF, 158KB).

Email the Housing Renewal team