A Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) is legislation that allows a us to address a particular nuisance or problem that may occur in a particular area. The PSPO works by imposing conditions on the use of that area, that apply to everyone. PSPOs are designed to ensure the law-abiding majority can use and enjoy public spaces safely, away from any anti-social behaviour.
Our PSPOs include the controls that were previously called Dog Control Orders (DCOs) and Designated Public Place Orders (DPPOs). For more information on the consumption of alcohol in a public place, visit Licensing Services.
Dogs on Leads (2020)
The order relating to Dogs on leads includes each and every stretch of road, including adjacent pavement and verges. In addition there are several areas identified in the order as places dogs must be kept on a lead at all times.
- Bleak Down area
- Roud area
- Chillerton area
- Arreton – Lane End area
- Godshill – Moor Farm area
- St Helens Revetment only 1 May – 30 September
- Newtown Nature Reserve
- Ryde Seafront Zone 1
- Ryde Seafront Zone 2
- Ryde Seafront Zone 3
- Ryde Seafront Zone 4
- Ashey Cemetery
- Binstead Cemetery
- Mountjoy Cemetery, Carisbrooke
- East Cowes Cemetery
- Newport Cemetery
- Northwood Cemetery
- Ryde Cemetery
- Sandown Cemetery
- Shanklin Cemetery
- St Paul’s Cemetery, Newport
- Ventnor Cemetery
- Wroxall Cemetery
The order relating to Dog Exclusion (PDF, 0.1MB) are in place all year round for fenced play areas and have a set time period for beaches.
Maps of these areas are listed:
- Appley Park Playground
- Battery Gardens Playground
- Big Mead Playground
- Binstead Recreation Ground Playground
- Brunswick Road Playground
- Church Litten Park Playground
- East Cowes Esplanade Playground
- Downside Recreation Ground Playground
- Gurnard Green Playground
- Jubilee Recreation Ground Playground / Muga / Skatepark
- Lowtherville Playground
- Manor Road Playground
- Medina College
- Monkton Mead Playground
- Newbridge Playground
- North Street Playground
- Park Road Recreation Ground Playground / Muga / Skatepark
- Seaclose Park, Playground / TENNIS & Netball Courts
- Simeon Recreation Ground Playground
- St Helens Green Playground
- Stroud Recreation Ground Playground
- Ventnor Park Outdoor Fitness
- Victoria Grove Recreation Ground Playground
- Victoria Recreation Ground Playground
- Wootton Recreation Ground Playground.
Dogs are allowed on all Island beaches during the winter months. However, to ensure everyone is able to enjoy our coastline, there are restrictions in place (dog exclusion zones) between 1 May and 30 September.
Maps of these areas are listed:
If you'd like to find a dog friendly beach accessible all year round visit dog friendly.
For information on Horses on Beaches, follow the beach access guidance.
Dog fouling and enforcement
The order relating to dog fouling (PDF, 91.8 KB) includes all highways and land within our administrative area.
If any of the conditions of the PSPO are breached, a Fixed Penalty Notice of £100 can be issued in accordance with our Enforcement Policy (PDF, 0.2MB).
Failure to pay may lead to prosecution and being liable, on summary conviction, to a fine (currently £1,000).
Nothing in these PSPO's applies to a person who:
- is registered as a blind person in a register compiled under Section 29 of the National Assistance Act 1948
- has a disability which affects their mobility, manual dexterity, physical coordination or ability to lift, carry or otherwise move everyday objects in respect of a dog trained by a prescribed charity and upon which they rely for assistance.