Appeal your Council Tax band or bill

How to appeal your property band

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) are responsible for the valuation of properties. If you think your Council Tax band is wrong, contact the VOA.

If your home is already in band A, the VOA will not reduce the band further.
You can make a challenge within six months of:
  • becoming a new council taxpayer
  • the VOA notifying you that your banding has changed
  • your property being demolished
  • substantial changes happening in your local area that have affected your properties value.
You still must pay Council Tax if you make a challenge. If your challenge is successful, then you will get a refund.

If your challenge is unsuccessful, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

How to appeal your Council Tax bill

If you think your Council Tax bill is wrong, tell us immediately.

The grounds for appeal include:

  • you have claimed a discount or exemption which was refused
  • you think your bill has been calculated incorrectly
  • you think you’re not responsible for paying tax because you are not an owner or occupier of the billed property.
Email to appeal your bill. The decision will be looked at again and if not changed, you have the right to appeal the decision with the Valuation Tribunal Service.