For support to quit smoking, the local stop smoking service is Smokefree Island.
If you are not ready to quit smoking but would like more information on how to protect your family visit Smoke Free Families. They provide advice on how to make your home and car smoke free.
Adult Weight Management
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a system that helps assess if you are a healthy weight, based on calculations from your height and weight.
If you're overweight, losing weight has many health benefits. Making small, simple changes to your lifestyle can make a big difference.
Check your BMI using the NHS online BMI calculator.
- You can download the free NHS Weight Loss Plan app from the NHS Better Health website. The 12 week plan helps you set weight loss goals, plan your meals, get more active and record your activity.
- Visit gloji Isle of Wight to find out more about the Isle of Wight Council funded, weight management support available to eligible Isle of Wight residents. Subject to eligibility criteria, Isle of Wight residents can self-refer or be referred by a Healthcare Practitioner.
Join your local MAN v FAT Football club and play small-sided football games against other men who also want to improve their health (there are some funded places available).
NHS Better Health - Healthier Families can help you and your family eat better and move more. This is where you will find the NHS food scanner app, to scan the barcodes of your family's favourite foods. Swipe to see the healthier options available, and make a swap next time you shop! You can also find recipes, activities and food facts here.
NHS 8 tips for healthy eating covers the basics of healthy eating and can help you make healthier choices.
Be more active
NHS Better Health includes tips on getting active for all.
- the downloadable 'Active 10 app' and 'Couch to 5K app'
- tailored advice for those living with a long term condition;
- home workout videos.
We are working in partnership with Energise Me to help residents find a wide range of activities happening on the Isle of Wight.
Get active Isle of Wight is a new activity calendar where you can find all kinds of active sessions across the Island, ranging from activities in local halls to sports sessions at your local club to exercise classes in your living room. There are helpful tips to get you started and stories about others that have benefited from getting active more often.
Exercise on referral
The Exercise on Referral scheme is operated by 1Leisure and Public Health. The Exercise on Referral programme is not a free service.
What is offered under the scheme membership
- Unlimited use of the 1Leisure facilities at Medina, The Heights and Westridge
- Advice on the best exercise to suit the patient’s needs and interests. For example: gym, swimming, fitness classes, circuit training, and more
- One-to-one support from a qualified instructor. (Number of one-to-ones will be dependent on instructor’s assessment of need)
- Free parking permit for the facilities
- Free gym induction
For the Exercise on Referral programme:
- There is a £10 joining fee
- 50% discount for the first four months. This discount is on normal and concessionary membership fees, but it is only available for those paying by direct debit.
- For membership fees and concessions please visit our 1Leisure website.
Please note: patients cannot self-refer. Please speak to a healthcare practitioner for more information.
Our sports unit provides advice on walking and cycling challenges and 'Isle be active'.
Free online courses for parents
Access courses for ALL parents, parents-to-be, carers, grandparents and teens living on the Isle of Wight. Plus courses for professionals working with children.
Taking the course can:
- boost your confidence as a parent
- help you navigate family life
- strengthen your relationships
Courses for families: from bump to 19+ years, including adult relationships
How do I access a course?
- Visit inourplace.co.uk
- Select ‘Apply Access Code’
- Enter the access code: FAMILY, and then enter your information
- Select the relevant course
Types of courses:
- Understanding your own Trauma
- Understanding pregnancy, labour, birth and your baby (Antenatal) 1b. Understanding pregnancy, labour and your baby: for female couples (Antenatal)
- Understanding your baby (Postnatal)
- Understanding your preterm or sick baby in hospital
- Understanding your preterm or sick baby now you’re home
- Understanding your child (0-19 years)
- Understanding your child with additional needs (0-19 years)
- Understanding your teenager’s brain
- Understanding your brain (for teenagers only)
- Understanding your feelings (for teenagers only)
- Understanding your child’s feelings
- Understanding your child’s mental health and wellbeing
- Understanding your relationships
- Understanding the impact of the pandemic on your child/teenager
Courses for professionals working with children
These free online courses for all professionals on the Isle of Wight provide 3.5 hours of CPD:
- Understanding trauma
- Understanding attachment
- Understanding brain development
How to access a course:
- Register at In Our Place
- Once signed into your professional account, enter access code: FAMILY_PRF
- Return to a course by going to Online Learning