In an emergency dial 999 or if you need to urgently speak to
someone dial 111.
If you are feeling in despair or are feeling suicidal there are people who you can reach out to for support.
Text SHOUT to 85258 for free, anonymous, 24/7 confidential
Samaritans can be contacted for telephone support and face-to-face counselling. For more information visit the Samaritans website or call 116 123 (free from any phone) or 0330 094 5717 (local call charges apply).
Papyrus provides help for young people up to the age of 30 years. For more information visit the Papyrus website or call 0800 068 4141 (available 9am to midnight every day).
If you are 18 years or over
- drop into the Safe Haven at 7 High Street, Newport, PO30 1SS or 10 Lind Street, Ryde, PO33 2NQ (Ryde Town Hall).
- call 01983 520168 and speak to the Community Mental Health Safe Haven
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Trained professionals can discuss your mental health concerns and provide help.
The service is available:
- Newport: Monday to Friday between 5pm and 10pm, weekends and bank holidays between 12pm (noon) and 10pm
- Ryde: Friday 5pm to 9pm, weekends and bank holiday from 1pm to 9pm.
If you are between 11 and 17 years old (or up to 18 with additional needs)
- call 07741 665182 and speak to Space 4U during opening hours
- call 02380 224 224 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
They provide an emotional crisis support service for young people.
You can also visit No Limits Help:
- East Newport Family Centre, Furrlongs, Newport PO30 2AX Mondays 6pm to 8pm
- Sandown Family Centre, 98 The Fairway, Sandown PO36 9EQ Tuesdays 4.30pm to 6.30pm
Access to psychiatric crisis support
You can call the Single Points of Access Service on 01983 522214 if:
- your mental or emotional state quickly gets worse
- you are worried about someone you know
The service operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Isle of Wight suicide prevention strategy
We are currently working with partners to update the Isle of Wight suicide prevention strategy (2018-21) (PDF, 408KB, 8 pages).